Monday 7 November 2011

Buy Nothing Day.

After having one of those internet browsing sessions when a click on a link takes you to another link which takes you to another link, I found out that it's Buy Nothing Day on Saturday 26th November 2011.


I had never heard of Buy Nothing Day before and thought that it must be a new fad, invented to try and cut consumer spending and encourage consumer saving...but it has actually been going since the "early 90's and has since grown into an international event celebrated in more the 50 countries. Its is a simple idea, which challenges consumer culture by asking us to switch off from shopping for a day. The day is celebrated as a holiday by some, a street party by others - anyone can take part provided they spend a day without spending!" (read more of this my clicking here).

At first I thought, how ridiculous by spending the day having a street party as surely that will encourage people to shop more a couple of days before Buy Nothing Day to stock up on paper plates, party poppers and pop. Yet, I have realised that it's a day to reflect on how much we actually spend and how we can have days when we buy nothing...and that's okay.

I think this idea is actually really good, and I like that I have found it at a time when we are in a recession and are being constantly bombarded by shops and companies to spend our money and to take part in every single Buy One Get One Free deal that is going in Asda. We can switch off our spending, and we can live happily and more simply without having everything all the time.

Well, this date will get pencilled in my diary and hopefully it'll be a day where I can see that spending isn't the be all and end all, and that it's okay to miss out on the half price offers at Tesco! It would be quite a nice idea to have a Non-Spending Day each month where you have to make do with the leftovers in the fridge and wait to buy some chocolate treats or a new book, it'll make the purchases seems even more worthwhile when they are treats and not just the norm.

1 comment:

  1. nice post :) I'm reading up on BND too and think I'll take part. Have a read of shivvy89.blogspot.com to see how I cope on the day

    ReplyDelete