Saturday 5 November 2011

Tonight.

Bonfire Night = deep, unrequited love.
I am so excited to put my coat and boots on (and maybe mittens if it's pretty cold) and watch the bonfire be lit, the fireworks light up the sky and smell all the candy floss and sweets in the night air. I also love when all the children have those plastic light toys that swivel and make lots of colours in the dark.
I feel that after Bonfire Night the official countdown to Christmas begins and everyone has just got festive-fever and are full of festive cheer! I feel so lucky to live in the UK and to have one day a year when we can just have a sky of colour and lights which isn't celebrated any where else really.
Oh, and if you don't know what Bonfire Night is, here is a description that I have basically just copied and pasted from wikipedia (original, I know!): Guy Fawkes Night, also known as Guy Fawkes Day, Bonfire Night or Firework Night, is an annual commemoration observed on 5 November, primarily in Great Britain. Its history begins with the events of 5 November 1605, when Guy Fawkes, a member of the Gunpowder Plot, was arrested while guarding explosives the plotters had placed beneath the House of Lords. Celebrating the fact that King James I had survived the attempt on his life, people lit bonfires around London, and months later the introduction of the Observance of 5th November Act enforced an annual public day of thanksgiving for the plot's failure.

There's a bit of British history for you. Have a good evening guys and dolls! I know I will!

p.s. want some Bonfire Night related music?
1. Katy Perry - Firework
link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlLgvQErn6o

2. Boyce Avenue - Firework (Katy Perry Cover)
link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocL-o8GY02k

No comments:

Post a Comment