Saturday 30 June 2012

Comparisons.

Everyone knows the Go Compare TV advertisement tune.
Everyone hates it.
Yet, this clever form of advertising is stuck in our heads for having the most annoying, yet cleverly-catchy melody; and for having the cheesiest Go Compare man in the world.

When I was walking around my local town centre on Tuesday I saw this billboard:

I thought, how clever. The charvas have really been funny and clever in their graffiti-ing of that billboard.
...Actually, it's a bit too clever.
That day, I noticed someone put up a picture on facebook containing the exact same billboard and laughing at the 'local person' who must have graffitied it. Surely this was not a coincidental graffiti choice that two separate, unknown charvas had made. This person did not live in the same town as me. Hmmm, I thought.

I googled (as one should always do when confronted in thought).
And I found this link.
Turns out that the charvas aren't so clever after all.
But Go Compare are with their advertising.

Go Compare must know we hate the opera-man and their adverts. Therefore they pre-defaced their adverts so that they were printed looking like they were graffitied. Clever. I quite like it. But at the same time, it's still just as annoying, yet slightly more humourous.




What do you make of it all? Clever advertising or just continued annoyance from Go Compare?

1 comment:

  1. I love it!

    I saw one today and thought it was really clever graffiti. I only just realised now that it was GOCompare! :)

    ReplyDelete